The village of Teggiano is situated 2,090 feet above sea-level, on an isolated peak above the upper part of the valley of the Negro river (the ancient Tanager), in the Cilento National Park.
It represents the ancient Tegianum, a municipal town of Lucania, made into a Roman colony by Nero, of which the ruins can be traced at the foot of the hill, with an ancient Roman bridge. An Oscan sepulchral inscription in Greek letters has been found here. In 1497 the town resisted, under Antonio Sanseverino of Salerno, the siege undertaken by Frederick of Aragon.
Teggiano is full of medieval monuments. It is considered a small city-museum, included among the most important centres of the area. In 1485 the Sanseverinos', supporters of Angioin party, hatched the famous "Barons' plot", just in the castle of Teggiano, against Ferdinando d'Aragona King of Naples.
The main attractions of Teggiano are:
- The Castle of Sanseverino.
- The Cathedral, with XIII century doors, a remarkable ambo (1271) and several sculptures of XIV century.
- The Church of Annunziata with frescoes and big altar piece (XVI century).
- The Church of St Angelo with crypt (1200).
- The Church of SS. Pietà with medieval cloister, frescoes and wooden statues of XVI century.
- The Diocesano Museum in the XV century church of St Pietro, with important tombstones, frescoes and the Bartolomeo Franconi's baldachin tomb (1401).
- The Church of St Francesco (1307) with a beautiful wooden ceiling painted in 1745.
- The Church of St Andrea with tablets painted by Andrea Sabatini (XVI century).
- The Museum of Rural Civilization.
Been there? Done that? Share your experience and tips!
Haven't visited yet? Have questions about Teggiano? Ask them here!
Explore nearby towns
The village of Sassano, close to Teggiano and Sicignano degli Alburni, was born between the 10th and the 12th century.
The lovely town of Padula is a placid place now but was once part of the most powerful feudal estates of the Kingdom of Naples.
The town of Sanza is in the center of the vast territory of the Cilento National Park, in a beautiful setting.